please fix the eq+ latencey issue

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i agree with all comments here
but its not that big

if you do paralell stuff use eq 5 instead

but the eq+ sounds very clean i can live with that 4-5 samples thar not delay compensated

kepp in mind 44samples = are 1ms
but i woudl love two have the option in the inspektor

D.K Envelope wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:53 am kepp in mind 44samples = are 1ms
The temporal change might be unnoticable, but the effect in the frequency domain (through notches/comb filtering) can be quite severe. That's what I tried to show with the Plugin Doctor plot above. (But yes, I guess the case is exhaustively stated by now :ud: )

So ive been using Bitwig for a couple days, made a few FX channels and use my system audio (youtube, iTunes, etc) as input. The goal is to enhance (think mastering - eq, multiband-comp, limit) the audio for the stereo system in my room.

I used FX Selector within an FX channel using mix as wet/dry control. In the Selector I put two EQs: EQ+, MEqualizer(Melda)

With EQ+ when I had mix 100-40 all seemed fine. When I wanted a very subtle amount under 10% things sounded tiny and weak. I had no idea why. Melda seemed much better at maintaining the sound quality.

I ended up ditching EQ+ and did some research and came to the conclusion it was phase issues due to non-linear filters between bands, now I stumbled across this article and realize why it was so pronounced.

In the end I used Voxengo Marvel GEQ (linear phase) to get the same tone as EQ+ on 100%mix, but then could scale the effect down to 10% mix no problem and my stereo sounded great! Now depending on which album im listening to I can set mix on the EQ to 0% and adjust it to my liking.

As a noob it was kinda frustrating that it (EQ+) didnt work as I expected although it sent me on a path of learning.

My friend making psytrance is using EQ+ extensively NOT at 100%mix, and he is constantly wondering why some elements loose their character.... maybe we know why now...comb filter. It sure will be a b*tch going through all his projects to replace EQ+ with something else but I think it will be necessary.

Is this still an issue in Bitwig 5?

serge wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:10 am Is this still an issue in Bitwig 5?
Yes.
EQ+ hasn't been changed. https://downloads.bitwig.com/5.0/Release-Notes-5.0.html
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:24 am
serge wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:10 am Is this still an issue in Bitwig 5?
Yes.
EQ+ hasn't been changed. https://downloads.bitwig.com/5.0/Release-Notes-5.0.html
Thanks! I just got into Bitwig, and getting read up on this. So it sounds like the limitation given the ~1ms / 4-6 samples latency is to not use EQ+ in parallel processing? Workarounds: using Time Shift or a different EQ (i.e. 3rd party of EQ 5) for parallel processing? Wondering if there there any other devices/effects that have a similar issue?

Really for me personally it's not a big deal since I'm just starting out, as a new Bitwig user and I'm just starting to organize and streamline my workflow.

serge wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:23 pm Thanks! I just got into Bitwig, and getting read up on this. So it sounds like the limitation given the ~1ms / 4-6 samples latency is to not use EQ+ in parallel processing? Workarounds: using Time Shift or a different EQ (i.e. 3rd party of EQ 5) for parallel processing? Wondering if there there any other devices/effects that have a similar issue?

Really for me personally it's not a big deal since I'm just starting out, as a new Bitwig user and I'm just starting to organize and streamline my workflow.
I think I read somewhere that it's at least 4 samples. Could be more, depending on the settings. That already means that there's no way for you to compensate for it automatically. You would need to measure the actual latency for every change you make to the Eq+ settings. Not really a viable solution.

serge wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:23 pm
Thanks! I just got into Bitwig, and getting read up on this. So it sounds like the limitation given the ~1ms / 4-6 samples latency is to not use EQ+ in parallel processing? Workarounds: using Time Shift or a different EQ (i.e. 3rd party of EQ 5) for parallel processing? Wondering if there there any other devices/effects that have a similar issue?

Yes, don't use EQ+ for parallel processing. You cannot compensate it with Time Shift because it is not a fixed sample offset.

Use a different EQ for parallel processing. Yes, EQ5 or 3rd party.

If you use it in a track with no parallel processing, will Bitwig compensate for delay as it does for other latency inducing plugins? If it doesn't, this a plugin delay compensation issue and not a 'phase' issue.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm If you use it in a track with no parallel processing, will Bitwig compensate for delay as it does for other latency inducing plugins? If it doesn't, this a plugin delay compensation issue and not a 'phase' issue.
You're correct, this is a plugin delay compensation issue. There could be other issues with EQ+, but the main issue is that Bitwig does not compensate latency for EQ+, and the amount of uncompensated latency changes with buffer size as well as the number of EQ bands used.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm If you use it in a track with no parallel processing, will Bitwig compensate for delay as it does for other latency inducing plugins? If it doesn't, this a plugin delay compensation issue and not a 'phase' issue.
You're correct, this is a plugin delay compensation issue. There could be other issues with EQ+, but the main issue is that Bitwig does not compensate latency for EQ+, and the amount of uncompensated latency changes with buffer size as well as the number of EQ bands used.
That's a shame and makes it unusable for ANY use case. I put it on a bass channel yesterday and it got completely out of sync with the rest of the track.

Any use case?

Are we saying that it adds latency that gradually builds up and will put one track out of time with another over the length of a track?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:20 pm Any use case?

Are we saying that it adds latency that gradually builds up and will put one track out of time with another over the length of a track?
No... EQ+ latency is like a few samples only. You'll never notice it except when parallel processing.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm

No... EQ+ latency is like a few samples only. You'll never notice it except when parallel processing.
With all love and respect, shifting sounds by a even few samples often makes all the difference. :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:36 pm

With all love and respect, shifting sounds by a even few samples often makes all the difference. :)
Someone was saying that the track was completely out of sync... that cannot be due to EQ+.

Return to “Bitwig”