Best Sample Player for polyphonic playing

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I search for a sample player, where I easy load wav samples and their are instant polyphonic playable.
So the VST sample player should automatically adjust speed and pitch over e.g. 10 playable keys.

After some tests of VST samplers only Halion 7 was able to only load wav sample and instant adjusted pitch and speed to make the WAV samples polyphonic playable.

Are there any other samplers which work in that way like Halion 7?

A single wav sample?

Or do you mean multi samples and the sampler reads the pitch info and auto assigns to relevant keys?

Bladerunner1962 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:35 am Hello,
I search for a sample player, where I easy load wav samples and their are instant polyphonic playable.
So the VST sample player should automatically adjust speed and pitch over e.g. 10 playable keys.

After some tests of VST samplers only Halion 7 was able to only load wav sample and instant adjusted pitch and speed to make the WAV samples polyphonic playable.

Are there any other samplers which work in that way like Halion 7?
all of them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Waves CR8, TAL Sampler, TX16Wx (with a couple of extra clicks)

seafire wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:54 am A single wav sample?

Or do you mean multi samples and the sampler reads the pitch info and auto assigns to relevant keys?
Yes, a single wav sample.

Probably best if more info is injected as to what you wanna achieve... Are you talking one-shot WAV Instruments or ones with internal loop points? Some samplers will not respect internal loop points... As for poly many do that... So are we talking VSTi sorts of samplers or any that might be in a particular Sequencer or DAW or Tracker? Trackers are the best at working down at the sample level with precision like Renoise but there are many free that are top-notch as well Like OpenMPT/Modplug in Impulse Tracker Mode you can do all kinda insane things to samples...

Some piano rollers make it convenient like Making Waves you can just drag a WAV right onto the track & it is ready in poly mode, with or without step recording or you paint it in with all kinda variables does a great job of pitch bending with a single sample sounding pretty good even aways from root position... Many Trackers simply open up note lanes if you play chords, some you have to specify how many note lanes you want open beforehand...

As for VSTi there's a bunch out there you simply have to try... Some do very cool things with a simple sample like TobyBear's Helios which is a different approach to a sample player. Really not alot new under the sun for sample players as it's considered oldskool shoot Reason's NN-XT at 22 years old still one of the best samplers ever made regardless it's frozen inside Reason>>>

Bladerunner1962 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:35 am After some tests of VST samplers only Halion 7 was able to only load wav sample and instant adjusted pitch and speed to make the WAV samples polyphonic playable.
Alright, so the obvious question is, what sample players did you try, and what didn’t work about them? Just about any “keyboard sampler” (as opposed to a drum sampler or a loop chopping sampler) can do this, and just about every DAW has one built in. Halion is WAY overkill for something simple like this.
Now, there’s a chance that you mean that you’d like the sample to automatically time stretch, so that the sample plays at the same speed at any pitch. Not every sampler can do this, but a lot of them can.

Maschine is surprisingly nice for this kind of thing. But really, they all do it.

eLawnMust wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:10 am Probably best if more info is injected as to what you wanna achieve... Are you talking one-shot WAV Instruments or ones with internal loop points?
I have e.g. orchestra samples with e.g. a melody or string runs.
These kind of samples (2-5 sec.) are very easy to loop (manually).
Stay with the tested examples of simple strings runs:
Yes, most of the tested Samplers can "convert" samples into "harmonic" or "melody" for "polyphonic playing".
But: mostly playing e.g. 2-3 keys up or down your hear "artificial adds" of the sample. In addition the pitch of instruments (e.g. strings) are not really good "converted"
Halion 7 has a function to manage that very good. The "artifical adds" are nearlly eliminated. Also the pitch is good "converted". It sounds, that I use 10 samples (playing over e.g. 10 keys) even only 1 sample is used.

The thing is: Halion 7 is really expensive. Before I buy it - only for using samples - I would have you experience, if other Samplers could handle samples like Halion 7 is doing.

Kontakt does that. Drop the sample on to the interface, click the sample edit button, and then click the sampler drop down and change it to Time Machine Pro.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm Kontakt does that. Drop the sample on to the interface, click the sample edit button, and then click the sampler drop down and change it to Time Machine Pro.
Thank you very much for that info. Works pretty good.

Bladerunner1962 wrote: Yes, most of the tested Samplers can "convert" samples into "harmonic" or "melody" for "polyphonic playing".
But: mostly playing e.g. 2-3 keys up or down your hear "artificial adds" of the sample. In addition the pitch of instruments (e.g. strings) are not really good "converted"

Halion 7 has a function to manage that very good. The "artifical adds" are nearlly eliminated. Also the pitch is good "converted". It sounds, that I use 10 samples (playing over e.g. 10 keys) even only 1 sample is used.
Mmmh... but actually all samplers - the DAW's built-in samplers - and the many
other samplers out there - use a sophisticated pitch algorithm. They all sound
good - like the Halion.

But if that's your experience ... :roll:
Last edited by enroe on Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:42 am Mmmh... but actually all samplers - the DAW's built-in samplers - and the many
other samplers out there - use a sophisticated pitch algorithm. They all sound
good - like the Halion.
He's looking for a sampler that maintains the tempo as it's pitched up. I don't think Studio One's sampler does that, can't speak about other DAW's samplers.
But if that's your experience ... :roll:
Was that really deserving of an eyeroll?

I worked now some hours using single Wav Samples in Kontakt with the "Time Machine Pro" setting.
For around 50% of the used samples I would rate the results as "OK" then playing 5 keys up or down.
The results are better than the yesterday tested CR8 sampler.

My test period from Halion 7 has expired. So I can't demonstrate "you" that the difference is.
In Halion 7 I could further use around 80% of the tested (same as actual) samples. The spreaded single sample sounds "naturally" as the original sample even playing 5 keys up or down..

I would agree - as most of you - already said, what each sampler could adjust pitch and tempo.
The difference in results you can hear very easy...even all samplers adjust pitch and tempo.
It's about the "method" how "naturally" instruments sounds then playing e.g. 5 keys up and down in comparison to the orginal sample.

From my personal view I would rate so far Kontakt as the nearest follower after Halion (7).

Free, lightweight UVI Workstation should be capable of transposing a sample but maintaining its tempo. Perhaps worth a test.
https://www.uvi.net/en/software/uvi-wor ... l#download

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”