Best sampler for cubase?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and wondering if someone can recommend a really decent sampler for cubase 10.5? I've seen some videos on youtube and the guy was using ableton with drumrack and I liked that it showed the sample name beside the piano roll (so many claps, hats OHH, CHH, Ride) just able to dial midi in and smash a groove together quickly.

I remember being in my mates studio long time ago and he used geist but a lot of older plugins don't seem to work with newer macs

Hope someone can make some recommendations please

A drum sampler? Cubase has Groove Agent (SE).

T-CM11 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 am A drum sampler? Cubase has Groove Agent (SE).
I did consider but I watched a video and the guy ran into issues triggering multiple sounds after assigning them each a specific key.

But when he clicked on them within the midi they seemed to work

Halion! :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Or Kontakt.

jown101 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:55 am
T-CM11 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 am A drum sampler? Cubase has Groove Agent (SE).
I did consider but I watched a video and the guy ran into issues triggering multiple sounds after assigning them each a specific key.

But when he clicked on them within the midi they seemed to work
No such issues here. Why don't you try it for yourself?

If you use a drum map with Cubase and any VST containing drums (or a sampler like contact or Halion) it'll show all of the drum names used on the individual keys

CreamWare VolksZampler!!... Yes, DONE!... Close the topic, end of discussion>>>

eLawnMust wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:07 pm CreamWare VolksZampler!!... Yes, DONE!... Close the topic, end of discussion>>>
Going way way back... 8) At first that (and the STS) was the ideal sampler for me to move from hardware (Akai S2000) to software, because it had a very similar structure.

So many options today. But if you already have Cubase with Groove Agent, then I agree with T-CM11. Give that a try first.

Thanks guys

Tal Drum or Tal Sampler are great, Battery is also very usable. Personally, I preferred just using audio tracks in Cubase...

Groove Agent works great, can’t see why anyone would have issues triggering samples, it’s very straightforward.

DMG68 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm Groove Agent works great, can’t see why anyone would have issues triggering samples, it’s very straightforward.
It was the SE and after watching the video I kinda wrote it off but just started looking at Groove Agent 5

I upgraded to Cubase 12 fairly recently and was fully prepared to buy either Battery, TAL-Drum, Speedrum, or the full version of Groove Agent.

I was surprised just how robust Groove Agent SE was. It does everything I want, and the full version doesn't really add a whole lot for me. The other three have slightly more intuitive interfaces imo, but not to a significant degree. I ended up sticking with it, because I don't have a huge reason to spend money on a similar plugin.

So I'd say give it a try, see if there's anything it doesn't do that you want, and then demo the others.

A lot of what is said here is actually not really true:

Groove Agent is ONLY the Steinberg drum machine. Its advantage is that it
can also be equipped with your own samples. Groove Agent has the great
advantage of providing many midi drum sequences that are automatically
synchronized to the song tempo.

The sampler for Cubase is Halion. Halion is specially designed so that you can
see the individual sample programs in the Cubase Inspector and even select
them or step through them. Halion really has the potential of what is necessary
for a sampler: velocity layers, round-robin, modulation + envelopes, etc. . There
are many ready-made libraries and you can put together your own multisamples
relatively quickly - using drag+drop.

So Halion is the Cubase sampler, which was specially developed by Steinberg
as "Cubase Sampler".

Of course - thanks to the VST interface - you can use any 3rd party VST sampler
(Kontakt, Tal, Motu Mach Five, Sforzando, Decent, TX16w, ...).
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”