u-he @ Superbooth 2024

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Damn finally a proper oscilloscope around.
On pc there is psyscope but on mac all the oscillos kinda sucks comparatively so glad you are deving smtg

sound sculptist

How long did it take before CVlization made it to retailers?

Nice performance. Good vibe.

Don't let the roadies in after midnight, sounds fine the way it is! :wink:

elxsound wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:48 pm How long did it take before CVlization made it to retailers?
IIRC it was within a couple of months. At least it seemed unusually quick to me. But, I may easily have just completely forgotten about it. :)

Vurt and a couple of others ordered them right away, so he would know.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:38 am
elxsound wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:48 pm How long did it take before CVlization made it to retailers?
IIRC it was within a couple of months. At least it seemed unusually quick to me. But, I may easily have just completely forgotten about it. :)

Sorry, I didn’t seem to finish my thought well enough to ask the right question :oops:

I was wondering how long did it take, from when CVilization was started as an official product to develop, to then eventually hitting stores? I was curious if it was a multi-year project, or maybe did it start as an on-the-side curiosity that at some point became a real product?

Zebra3 at namm, cool.

Which year? :hihi:

elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:31 am

Sorry, I didn’t seem to finish my thought well enough to ask the right question :oops:

I was wondering how long did it take, from when CVilization was started as an official product to develop, to then eventually hitting stores? I was curious if it was a multi-year project, or maybe did it start as an on-the-side curiosity that at some point became a real product?
It took us about 3 years, same as Wiretap. While CVilization went through multiple hardware prototypes (with a big long firmware crunch at the end), Wiretap went through endless iterations of firmwares, trying to find the right sensitivity, and factoring in workarounds for unexpected-by-us behaviours of popular sequencers and other CV sources.

The main issues with CVilization were, the first 24 bit / 96kHz converter drew way too much current, then, after we switched to a different one, some other part wasn't available anymore. But then, reducing power consumption of the LEDs by driving them from +5V required a redesign. This IIRC introduced noise leak which needed to be addressed, and at some point an issue with the select bus required the team to hand solder another resistor on hundreds of already assembled PCBs.

It's as if we chose the most difficult tasks for our first products, I hope that a) having a hardware dev in the team (as opposed to contracting someone external who have their own deadlines) and b) going for hopefully less difficult-to-implement modules will speed up time from idea to market in the future.

Would have been a great time to do 'autographed copies' at the solder stations, if there was a spot for a sharpie sig in the case. Maybe it's not too late...

Urs wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:25 am
elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:31 am

It took us about 3 years, same as Wiretap. While CVilization went through multiple hardware prototypes (with a big long firmware crunch at the end), Wiretap went through endless iterations of firmwares, trying to find the right sensitivity, and factoring in workarounds for unexpected-by-us behaviours of popular sequencers and other CV sources.

The main issues with CVilization were, the first 24 bit / 96kHz converter drew way too much current, then, after we switched to a different one, some other part wasn't available anymore. But then, reducing power consumption of the LEDs by driving them from +5V required a redesign. This IIRC introduced noise leak which needed to be addressed, and at some point an issue with the select bus required the team to hand solder another resistor on hundreds of already assembled PCBs.

It's as if we chose the most difficult tasks for our first products, I hope that a) having a hardware dev in the team (as opposed to contracting someone external who have their own deadlines) and b) going for hopefully less difficult-to-implement modules will speed up time from idea to market in the future.
When you started out with CVilization, did you know it was something you wanted to bring to market as a product (and seemingly choose the most difficult option as a first product :hihi: )?

elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 pm When you started out with CVilization, did you know it was something you wanted to bring to market as a product (and seemingly choose the most difficult option as a first product :hihi: )?
I did not know then that it was gonna be difficult. It seemed easy at the time because it was digital and used similar parts as some other modules I used a lot.

It was from the beginning meant to be something we'd market.

Urs wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:11 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 pm When you started out with CVilization, did you know it was something you wanted to bring to market as a product (and seemingly choose the most difficult option as a first product :hihi: )?
I did not know then that it was gonna be difficult. It seemed easy at the time because it was digital and used similar parts as some other modules I used a lot.

It was from the beginning meant to be something we'd market.
CVilization is still a beast still. :hug: I do plan on getting a 2nd so I can be cool like Vurt & Justin3am, but when I get another case. Oh, and all silver 2nd box ready for Cen2urion (sp?) and Sloopy. Even if doesn’t keep the Sloopy name, I’ll play Hang on Sloopy whenever it arrives.

elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 pm
CVilization is still a beast still.
yup!
cant wait to try out that quad oscillator alternative 1!
the number 1, implies more to come too!!
was happy with it before, but updates are just a bonus that makes it even more beastly!! :o

vurt wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 pm
CVilization is still a beast still.
yup!
cant wait to try out that quad oscillator alternative 1!
the number 1, implies more to come too!!
was happy with it before, but updates are just a bonus that makes it even more beastly!! :o
That reminds me, I do have a question, and I'm sorry if this was covered in the interview, but do we get to choose which mode the Alt Quad Oscillator mode would replace?

Return to “u-he”